Sunday, October 18, 2009

Upgrade time!

A few things I'm covering in this post: took photos for a local band called Tzar Bomber, researching new photographic equipment and a little bit about the next band I want to shoot.

Paid gigs are kind of a rare occurrence for me, so I was excited about taking promo and live photos for Nowra band Tzar Bomber. I may be taking some photos for a Kiama band too, and if I haven't scared them away with my inflated price - a band from Sydney that wants me for a few gigs.

I may also be getting a grant for my photography so I may be finally upgrading my equipment. I could just jump in and get a Canon 5D Mark ii with a 70-200mm lens or I could get a camera and a few lenses that will be able to give me the kind of images I need.
The Canon 7D looks promising. Might be 2-3 grand and not full frame though it has a very high ISO, a bigger viewfinder and is 18 megapixels which is 8 times greater than what my 40D is. There only seems to be a bit of noise at 12800 and on my 40D I get noise at 3200.
The lenses I am thinking of purchasing are a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro, a 20mm f/2.8, and maybe a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS.
I would love the 100mm for up-close photos and to get good drummer shots. I'm doing ok now but once I get into a arena the drummer does get a bit further away.
The 20mm is good for portraits and well wide angle shots.
The 70-200 is an ideal festival lens. It's a must have for any band photographer, and I think it's about time that I got one.
Even the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS could be a great addition to my kit.
I need to think about what I'd use the lenses for more and if I want to get into studio work. So far I'm doing good at live band photography but I'm a novice at promotional photography. And maybe I should upgrade my 430 EX flash. I'm doing a lot of flash work now, so I should just go for the top range. Is it 580? It's probably way higher than that now.

The next gig I'm keen on shooting is Poison the Well and Fear Before, which this friday at Manning Bar. I haven't shot a heavy band like this in a long time. I should be ok as long as I bring out the 1.8 lens.
Anyway, I'm going out tomorrow to purchase the PTW 2 cd set and will cross my fingers that I get approved for the shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment